Thursday, March 21, 2013

Change Happens

"Change is a funny thing, not everyone can handle it. It can sneak up on you. Things aren’t what they use to be. The whole world is transformed. You realize the ground beneath you has shifted. Things are uncertain and there’s no turning back. The world around you is different now. Unrecognizable, and there is nothing you can do about it. You’re stuck and the future is staring you in the face and you’re not sure you like what you see." - Alex Karev, Grey's Anatomy, season nine, episode 14. 

As the spring season is now officially underway, I take a step back and discover there are just a mere six weeks left until the semester is over, until Sine Die, until the suits all go home and new friends become mere acquaintances, and until I'm finished with undergraduate college life. 

This doesn't come as a surprise to me. No one pulled the rug out from underneath my firmly planted feet. No, rather, these feet have been shifting constantly, ready for the chance to break fast and loose. But now, all of a sudden, it feels real. The light at the end of the tunnel that was once just a twinkling, far off star has become a blinding beacon of uncertainty. 

During this time of uncertainty it's important for me to remember that I am in charge of what I see in the mirror and I am responsible for the decisions that I make. I heard the other day, "You may not think you have a choice, but you always have a choice. The trick is to live with the ones you make." While all of this change is occurring rapidly over the next six weeks, it's these words that will ground me through the experience and remind me to step back, take a deep breath and gain some perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment